Sue’s Chicken Spaghetti Chowder-Two For Tuesday
A few weeks ago, my friend Sue and I had an exchange of recipes whereby she took my fat and calorie-laden recipes and changed them up to fit her diabetic diet. We had so much fun and by the comments and emails I got from you, the readers, I think you liked it as well. So we are doing it again, this time with my recipe for Chicken Spaghetti Casserole. So here is my original recipe and Sue’s is below, wow look at the fat difference. Let us know what you think and if you enjoy getting a healthier version of some of my favorites…
Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
12 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) broken pasta
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted-divided
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups mozzarella cheese-shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese-grated
1 cup frozen peas
1 medium onion, chopped
5 cups chicken-cooked and cubed
1 1/2 cups cornflakes-crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a mixing bowl, combine the soups, sour cream, milk, 2 tablespoons butter and seasonings. Add the cheeses, peas and onion. Stir in the chicken and pasta.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 dish. Combine the cornflakes and butter and sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.
**I made half and froze half for another time.
Sue's Chicken Spaghetti Chowder
Yield: Serve 4
* 1 (12oz) package button mushrooms, sliced
* 1 1/2 cups broken whole wheat angel hair pasta, or any soup pasta
* 1/8 cup flour mixed with 1/3 cup chicken broth
* 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
* 1 quart low sodium chicken stock fortified with 1 chicken bouillon cube
* 1/2 sweet white onion, chopped
* 1/2 medium carrot, diced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 bay leaves
* salt & pepper
* 1/2 cup white bean puree
* 2 cups cooked chicken, bite-sized pieces
* 1 Parmesan cheese rind
* 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme leaves
* 1 tablespoon dry sherry
makes 4 crisps
* 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
* 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Bake 4 piles of Parmesan cheese at 325° for 9 minutes. Cool.
Place 2 tablespoons mozzarella on each crisp and bake at 375° until the cheese melts.
1. Heat stock to a boil and add all the ingredients except the chicken, lowering heat to a simmer for 30-35 minutes until the carrots are soft. Add chicken, remove cheese rind and bay leaves. Adjust seasonings.
Fill 4 bowls with the hot chowder and place one cheese crisp on top of each bowl.
Sue from Wish Upon a Dish