Sweet & Saltines From Trisha Yearwood

I am now cooking out of my new favorite cookbook!  Foodie bloggers all over have been raving about this cookbook, and since I am now the proud owner of it, I have to raise my hand in the air and do the happy dance along with everyone else!  The recipes are straight forward and there is a lot of family history and funny old photos along with tips on how to make the most of each recipe.
These saltines looked really good on paper, and they did taste good–gotta love the sweet and salty mixture, just like eating french fires and a chocolate shake, but they were kind of a mess to take out of the pan.  I used aluminum foil, but next time I may try sprayed parchment paper.

Sweet and Saltines by Trisha Yearwood
INGREDIENTS:
40 saltine crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup light brown sugar
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/3 cups)
**I used 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar and that was plenty
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Line a large jellyroll pan with aluminum foil and the saltine crackers.  In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly.  Put the jellyroll pan into the oven and watch closely.  Bake for 4 or 5 minutes or until just bubbly.  Remove from the oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers.  When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife.  Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. They will form one big sheet.  Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
  Pin It

18 Responses to “Sweet & Saltines From Trisha Yearwood”

1. 1
    Pam — May 20, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

They look great! I have both of her cookbooks and love the second one, so many good things in it. I will definitely have to try this! I have made one similar using graham crackers, chocolate chips and pecans.

2. 2
    Ma What's 4 dinner — May 20, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Oh, I've made a version of these for passover on matzah. Super good… and messy. I'll have to check out this book. Is it really that good????

I can't believe you've had those horrible people move nearby! It's not right I tell you, sorry still fired up.

I love Holly. She's the best. And I'm so jealous about your Shrek party…we are going to see it though. Can't wait!!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner

3. 3
    Chef Bee — May 20, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

I'm gonna have to pick up this cookbook now. Seems great!!! Thanks for the tip.

4. 4
    Alyssa — May 20, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

I so didn't need this recipe…but I couldn't stop looking, or drooling. Okay, if I can limit myself, they sound truly delicious. Yeh, I think the parchment paper matters.

5. 5
    Julie M. — May 21, 2010 @ 12:51 am

These look good! I've made something similar using graham crackers instead of saltines.

I hadn't hear of this cookbook before but between you and Mommy's Kitchen, I feel like I need to check it out!

BTW… thanks so much for the tip on google docs. It took a bit to figure out, but I think I have the hang of it now!

6. 6
    Mandy's Life After 30 — May 21, 2010 @ 1:33 am

Yum! Looks good to me. Back when I listened to country music, I really liked Trisha Yearwood and her husband Garth Brooks. I bet it's an interesting read full of great recipes. Share more good ones when you can!

7. 7
    Sabrina Hayes — September 15, 2010 @ 11:45 pm

I have this cookbook as well and everything I've tried has been really great.

This one became a fast favorite in my house. Mmmmm…….

8. 8
    cookmybooks — August 13, 2011 @ 3:35 am

Great post. I got inspired to cook Trisha's recipes after seeing the sweet and saltines. I just made the ribs and sorry but they were inedible. Happy for feedback – where did I go wrong? http://www.cookmybooks.net/uncategorized/home-cooking-with-trisha-yearwood/

9. 9
    jak zarabiać pieniądze — February 16, 2012 @ 11:00 am

Thanks, will check back http://www.anniebakes.net/2010/05/sweet-saltines-from-trisha-yearwood.html quickly, have bookmarked you for right now. jak zarabiać pieniądze

10. 10
    Monice — April 9, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

Your posts are well written.

11. Pingback: Sweet and Saltines « Icingonyourcake's Blog

12. 11
    Barb — August 11, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

I made these about 2 weeks ago and used wax paper. They turned out tasting good, but when I used the wax paper, the wax paper was messy with stuff off the saltines and stuck to the saltines. That part was messy, but still good. Next time I will use aluminum foil instead of wax paper.
    When I used 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar, I found out it was not enough to completely cover those saltines. Next time, I will use 2 sticks butter and 1 cup brown sugar, just like the recipe says.
    But overall, the fact is they were really good and addicting.

13. 12
    Barb — August 11, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

When I used wax paper, it went through the wax paper, where if I had used aluminum foil, it may be might not have gone through the foil.

14. 13
    quiltzyx/sue — August 31, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

I’ve made this several times & love them. I don’t like the cooking spray stuff, so I just smeared the foil with butter & they released like a charm.

• anniebakes replied: — September 5th, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

great tip!!

15. 14
    BARBARA HICKS — February 13, 2013 @ 4:43 am

THE BEST FOR SALT-IE AND SWEET I LOST MY RECIPE FROM THE MAGIZ; SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY TO FIND IT ON THE WEB,,THANKS BARBARA IN OKLA.

• anniebakes replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 7:31 pm

so glad I had it for you!

16. 15
    Locuri De Munca Calarasi — August 8, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

Anuntul Tel Locuri De Munca din Romania. Cauta Locuri De Munca Calarasi perfect pentru tine, Castiga salariul visat cu Locuri
    De Munca Afara